Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stereotype and ethics of representation


American Born Chinese- this comic for me was a great change of pace. Everyday situations are addressed simply and directly. There is certain honesty and personality to the work, it is very easy to get into the story, simple school situations and making new friends are easy to appreciate, the clean, lighthearted nature of this piece is refreshing. The use of color is muted which also makes for a more soothing read (if I can put it that way). The use of space is simple and easy to navigate. There are no complex dynamics to the drawing, which I do love, but again the story was just aesthetically pleasing in its simplicity.

Stuck Rubber Baby Howard Cruse
I read snippets of this piece and was most interested by social, political and moral issues that were addressed. The technique used in the drawing is also distinctively different from much of the work that we have studied this semester. Interesting dynamics and layouts of the space make the piece more immersive for the reader.

Palestine by Joe Sacco
During my readings I looked at some work by Sacco, my other that the emotionally evoking story line, I was particularly drawn to his style of drawing. The depth that is achieved in his work is, for me, believable in its nature. They point of view is often unusual and highly effective. The placement of his text in negative spaces was also interesting for me. His use of font and breaking up of the page is also intriguing and on a personal level I’d like to adopt some of those characteristics to my own style.


No comments:

Post a Comment